Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Greg's December 2012 Newsletter


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year from Chile! As we roll into the warmth of summer here I often have to remind myself that you all are entering into the cold of winter; but wherever this finds you, I wish you much love and joy this holiday season. As I have followed the tragic events of the recent shooting in Conn., I am also reminded to stop and appreciate every day I am alive because you never know when our time is up. All that to say, I pray that all of you are able to spend the holidays with your loved ones and remember the one true Gift of the season: Jesus.

FIRST: We finally found a place to have our larger Fuego Urbano gatherings!  The place I mentioned in my previous newsletter didn’t work out but we found a better place that is right across the street from the beach and the surf-school that is the gathering place for all the surfers in La Serena. Everyone in La Serena surfs right there because it is the only half-mile stretch that has surfable waves, and the place we have reserved is right in front of it! We actually tried to get this place before but were not able, and it only worked out this time because we know someone who knows everyone who works there. The room will cost $1350/month and fits up to 120 people, so it will be a bit of a challenge to cover all that but we already have a financial commitment that covers almost half of the yearly-amount, which means we will need to come up with the other half this year. In order to do that we will begin taking offerings right away with the hope that when it comes time for us to pay the rent, we will be able to. The surfers Bible Study will get rolled into this Sunday night gathering starting on Sunday Jan 6th, and the gathering in Las Companias will move to a mid-week time because many there will also be going together. We are super excited about all the possibilities this opens up for us, as it puts all the surfers, body-boarders, and all those who hang out at the beach or do any kind of beach-activities of sports (there are lots) at our fingertips. It is also pretty ideal for the skaters, since the new skate-park on the beach is just a couple miles down the beach. Please pray God will use this new opportunity to really impact La Serena! Here is a picture from the beach looking back at the surf-school on the left, along with the hotel we will be using just over to the right:


SECOND: The Brazilian mission-team that came last summer has just arrived again to help with the summer sports programs in Las Compañías for the next 3 weeks. They will be helping Pepe run all the sports programs, allowing me to be freed up to focus on the skaters and surfers. Please pray God would draw lots of people to Him through the programs and through the visit of this team.

THIRD: We have finalized the team of elders for Fuego Urbano. They are Sandra, Mauri & Kara Farias, and Gislaine (Pepe’s wife). These 4 will serve with Pepe and I as a sort of pastoral team for the church. Mauri & Kara are a Chilean/Canadian couple who has lots of history with Pepe, Gislaine, and I since we all served together in the same missions organization about 7-8 years ago. They bring lots of trust, maturity, strength, and gifts to their respective roles with Fuego Urbano. Sandra runs one of the hotels in La serena and we met her while looking for a place to have our larger Fuego Urbano meetings. Sandra has 2 teenage daughters and is incredibly passionate about Jesus and young people, acting like a mom/mentor/older sister/aunt to all the surfers at the Surfers Bible Study (she buys and prepares pizzas each week for everyone). She has been a huge blessing to us and knows everyone in La Serena. In fact, if not for her we would not have been able to get the hotel we now have reserved. We are blessed to have her! And you all know Gislaine (Pepe’s wife), but with the very complicated pregnancy, birth, and recovery of Gean Felipe, Gislaine has been out of any official ministry roles for the past 1.5 years. This is her first step back into active ministry, now that Gean Felipe is over a year old and doing great.  Pepe and I will meet once every month, or every other month, with this group to pray for Fuego Urbano, talk about any issues, and cast vision for the future.

FOURTH: While skateboarding in Santiago with Henry last month I suffered some pretty bad bruising and swelling all over my left hip/thigh and elbow. 1-month later the bruise on my thigh is still not completely gone, and I experienced swelling like never before. It got so bad that my body started responding to any small incident by swelling up. That led to my right hand swelling up for 2 days, then my left one; then I burned my lip drinking some hot tea and my whole upper-lip swelled like a balloon, which then spread to my right eye for a few days. All that to say: I’m not sure what I’m going to do about skateboarding because I’m a little concerned about the physical toll the falls have taken on my body. So please pray God would watch over me and give me some discernment.

FINALLY: As always there are 3 ways you may give financially to Fuego Urbano. For Automatic Monthly Online Donations you may sign up for amounts of $25, $50, $100, or $200 per month. Just go to the right side of my Blog (http://greghaugh.blogspot.com) where it says ‘Recurring Donation’ and adjust drop-down menu to the amount you’d like to give each month; then click ‘Subscribe’ and it will take you through the process. One-Time Online Donations are available as well: click the ‘Donate’ button on my Blog just below where it says ‘1-Time Donation’ and it will take you through the process. Or if you prefer Personal Checks you can make them out to ‘Fishers of Men Fellowship’ and mail them to: Fishers of Men Fellowship, PO Box 9284, Newport Beach, CA 92658.  And all donations are fully tax-deductible.

We're so grateful for all of you and wish you all the best this Christmas & New Years!
Greg Haugh & Jose, Gislaine, Gabriel, and Gean-Felipe Eyzaguirre




No comments:

Post a Comment